Monday, January 20, 2014

Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Soup–week 2 Gluten Free

coversoup

I’d like to say that week two was easier than week one but I’d be lying through my bread eating lips :)  I may have cheated a wee bit, not a lot, but the cravings were crazy.  When you love bread, just the smell makes me want to have some.  Ok, must stop talking about it…

I also had some good reasons, starting when I got a good scare caused by my youngest.  She asked if we could do carpool Wednesday and I just assumed that meant drop off in the morning.  What I didn’t realize was that she meant end of day pick up as well.  So when Abby got home and asked if Rowan was there because she wasn’t on the bus my heart rate escalated to dangerously high levels.  I tried not to panic, too much.  Abby and I got back into the car and called the school as we drove towards it (slightly above the limit).  The school located her and when we got there she was in the front office surrounded by four teachers having no idea what she did was wrong.  Once my pulse got back to almost normal… I required a drink and a cookie.

Then the last nail in my proverbial coffin was while I was working out.  As you know I haven’t exactly had the best year in the physical department.  Three herniated discs, two ruptures with surgeries and a partridge in a pear tree.  Just kidding about the last one.  Anyway, I’ve started with a personal trainer who works with people with back trauma.  She’s great and I am doing very small movements but at least I can now engage my abdominals all by myself.  Not bad after a year and half.  Now that’s the good side, the bad side happened when I went to stretch or extend my leg after my 30 minute walk on the treadmill.  When I did, it went numb (pins and needles).  Which, to be honest, is the strangest feeling on the planet.  I know it’s not going to buckle but it still caused a pause of concern.  So I had a slice of pizza as I was just not motivated to make dinner that night. I’m heading back to see the doc this week.

So you may think I cheated three times but there were fairly good reasons, if any.

But I also made some super yummy GF items.  Lots of really tasty salads and this amazing soup.

I bought a bag of pre-cut butternut squash and roasted it with garlic.  I then added some low sodium stock and pureed until I got the right consistency.  Voila soup!  Simple and delicious.

You can also not be lazy like me and peel and chop your squash.

choppedandready

Roast at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown

outofoven

Put into medium saucepan and add low sodium stock, about two cups.  Start with 1 cup and add until desired consistency.

addstockpuree

Get to the right consistency.  I like mine a little thicker.

puree

and last but certainly not least…enjoy!

butternutsquashsoup

So week two is behind me and I head into this upcoming week in a more positive frame of mind.  At least that’s what I’m planning.

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment