Sunday, November 24, 2013

Best Buttermilk Biscuits EVER!!!!

biscuita1

We’ve lived in Cary, NC for three years now and up until a few weeks ago didn’t have a really good breakfast spot.  We had several favs in Ottawa but here, nada.

We were introduced to The Flying Biscuit and I am so glad we were.  But now I crave the bloody biscuits every weekend and since that’s a little ridiculous and expensive, I scoured the internet for the recipe.

biscuit2a

Jackpot!!!! I found the recipe and then I changed it because that’s what I do :)  I took out the heavy cream and added buttermilk and then the half and half and added just 2% milk.  I think I like these even more.

Recipe: Adapted from Epi Curious on Food.com

  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 tbsp baking powder plus 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar plus 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 6 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 2/3 cup buttercream
  • 2/3 cup milk
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. This recipe can be done in one bowl (me likey that!!!)
  3. In the bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
  4. Cut the butter into the flour until it looks like oatmeal.
  5. Add the buttercream and milk and fold until just combined.  You don’t want to over knead, nobody likes a heavy biscuit.
  6. Roll the dough to an inch thickness and use a square cutter to cut out the biscuits.
  7. You can re-roll the left over dough, but just once.  Again, you don’t want tough bickies.
  8. Brush the biscuits with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
  9. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes until golden brown.
  10. Let cool a bit and enjoy!!!

biscuit3a

These are awesome and now requested every weekend.  They are flakey, buttery, and awesomesauce!!!!

Have a great rest of the weekend and thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. They do look so good!! flakey and yummt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess this means to the end of eating out for breakfast on the weekends! They look perfect Karen and switching up the heavy cream for buttermilk and the half and half for 2% didn't seem to affect them in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooove biscuits!! We have a biscuit truck here and they are ridiculously good!! Like wait in line for 30 minutes and they'll probably be sold out when you get to the window good. They are also like $8/ea, which is pretty crazy… Now I will have to make these. I swear I have tried every biscuit recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay Kare-bare... do you think they could be as awesome-sauce if made without dairy??

    ReplyDelete