Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Baba Ghanoush w/ homemade tortilla chips

When we moved to the states I never truly appreciated some of the staples you can get at the local Canadian grocery store.  Then after a year and half away and a month long visit, I again am missing some of those precious commodities, like President’s Choice dips.

Every one knows hummus but there are other Middle Eastern spreads that are even better and in my opinion, Baba Ghanoush is one of them.  It’s a roasted eggplant spread with tahini and garlic and lemon oh my!

IMGP0585

Whilst we were north, in Ottawa to be precise, I have two baba ghanoush stories.  I know it’s odd to have one but to have two…I know.

First we were staying at a friend’s for dinner and she did a whole Middle Eastern themed evening.  For our appetizers, she served hummus (which the girls devoured) and baba.  I think I walked away from the appies for like 5 minutes and came back to find the baba was completely gone and watched in awe as Rob took a piece of pita and wiped clean the last few remnants.  What the?????  Let’s just say when it comes to veggies, eggplant wouldn’t be allowed in the house and the fact he just ate an entire dish of it was shocking.  Then being the lovely wife I am, I tormented him with it.  “Do you have any idea what’s in that?” “um, no”, “tehehe, that’s eggplant” and then the blank stare, the shrug and then he continued to wipe the bowl clean.  VICTORY!!!!  Only because I can now make it at home.

IMGP0587

Second story was when my sister in law, Catherine and I went shopping before our girls night.  We were both so hungry and craving an Ace Bakery baguette, possibly the best on the planet. We also grabbed some President’s Choice Baba.  When we got back to our friend’s and without thinking, pulled off a chunk of the bread and dipped it right into the container, seriously classy!  It was like heaven in my mouth.

So now back in Raleigh and sadly our local grocery store and even our local Whole Foods didn’t have a pre-made baba but they did have tahini (sesame seed paste) , so screw it I’m making my own!

Here’s what you do!

  • 2 medium sized purple eggplants
  • 1/3 cup tahini
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 2 cloves chopped garlic
  • 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp chopped or dried parsley
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Peel and slice eggplant and drizzle with olive oil.  Bake at 375 until soft, about 35 minutes
  2. Transfer to food processor and add remaining ingredients. Puree together.
  3. Put in air tight container and chill.
  4. Serve!

IMGP0584

If you want to make an easy tortilla chip.  Just take a tortilla and brush with olive oil. Toast and then slice into eights.

This is really good and low in fat.  Now don’t eat it all in one sitting, because you totally could.  If you find there is a bitter taste, your eggplant wasn’t cooked enough.  It should be easily mushed, it if stays lumpy, it’s not quite done.

IMGP0585

Thanks for looking!

3 comments:

  1. Now this would get me to eat eggplant!! Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you could get Tahini. I have a feeling that this appetizer is going to be making an appearance at your home quite often now that Rob has discovered he loves it too.

    ReplyDelete