Friday, June 15, 2012

Blueberry Scones with Lemon Glaze

IMGP9971

Ok, so apparently scones aren’t well known in the south, they’re called biscuits. And neither is a good cup of tea.  So what’s a girl to do? 

Ok, so I import my tea from Canada and you guessed it,  I make my own scones.  And with all the blueberries on hand I busted out my favourite scone recipe and then saw on the Food Network a lemon glaze on a muffin and thought, ooooh that’d be good!

IMGP9968

And you know what???? I was right!

Recipe:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut in chunks
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries
  • 1 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing the scones
  • 1 cup icing sugar
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tbsp butter
  1. In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
  2. Cut butter into flour until it’s like oatmeal.
  3. Fold in blueberries.
  4. Make a well in the centre of bowl and add cream.  Mix gently until the dough comes together.  Do not over knead.
  5. Put out on a well floured surface and press into square.  Cut into squares or triangles.
  6. Bake at 400F for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
  7. While scones are cooling make glaze.
  8. Combine icing sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved.
  9. Add butter and place in microwave for 30 seconds.
  10. Stir until completely combined and then drizzle over scones.
  11. Enjoy!

Ok, so I may have eaten most of these.  The lemon drizzle is genius.  I grew up fairly “British”, in that we ate a lot of scones and drank a ton of tea, so to me this is like home.  I mean my favourite scone is actually plain but with some fresh blueberries they are pretty damn good too.  We also use to eat them with crème fresh and homemade jam.  Both my grandmother’s could make a mean scone, so my love for them is genetic.

IMGP9969

So the next time you want a little something different for breakfast, break out this recipe and I promise you won’t be disappointed and if so, send them to me because I’ll eat them!

Thanks for looking!

4 comments:

  1. The blueberry scones would be delicious all by themselves but adding the lemon glaze must put these at the top of the *best breakfast* list. I didn't know you imported your tea. What is your favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scones are my absolute favorite breakfast items! I love this blueberry version, and that lemon version sounds so delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look amazing! Help, what's icing sugar?
    Thanks
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Maureen, icing sugar is powdered sugar. and Thanks!

      Delete