Friday, June 8, 2012

Berrylicious! Meringue Nests with Bumbleberry Compote

IMGP9873

Ok, can I tell you how excited I was when Hani asked me to be apart of Berrylicious.  I think I jumped up and down.  I know it seems silly but as I am a self professed stalker of many amazing blogs and love watching when several do a joint blog post;  plus have always thought it would be so much fun to be apart. So now I can say that I’m amongst some amazing bloggers and hopefully keeping up!

In our house, berries rule!  So trying to pick just one to use in a recipe might have led to a heated discussion. It’s hard to say no to the 4 and 6 year old canvassing for just raspberries or to a husband who prefers blueberries and not to mention I did a whole week on strawberries.  In the end I knew what I needed to do.  Yup, all of them!

Making a compote isn’t nuclear science but it’s the best way to use berries when berries are not in season.  So this post is something you’ll want to pull out mid-winter when you’ve got a hankering.  Now I used fresh berries for this, but you can so do this with frozen.  Heating berries brings out the flavours of the berries ten-fold.  It also brings out the tartness, so you’ll need to add in some sugar.

Bumbleberry Compote Recipe:

  • 1 cup quartered strawberries
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • 1 cup raspberries
  • 1 cup blackberries
  • 1/4 cup sugar (if too sweet add less, if too tart add more)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  1. Put all ingredients into saucepan and heat until sugar is dissolved and the blueberries pop.  The sauce should be a deep red colour.

    IMGP9864
  2. Strain and reserve both berries and sauce.  (It’s awesome hot and cold)

IMGP9872

Now as much as I love the compote and you could totally eat it straight up, I felt you all needed something a little more.

One of my mother’s desserts, she didn’t have many specialties because baking is so not her thing, she made this baked meringue.  It was light and crunchy and oh so good.  I took a few recipes and gave them a go but they always turned out chewy.  I finally broke down and asked her.  You are not going to believe how easy this is.

Vanilla Meringue Recipe:

  • 4 egg whites
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • scant 1 cup sugar
  1. Pre-heat oven to 225F
  2. Whip egg whites until soft peaks.
    IMGP9854
  3. Add 1 tbsp sugar and vanilla and continue to whip until firm. IMGP9855
  4. Remove and fold in the 1 cup sugar.  The meringue will soften a bit.
    IMGP9856
  5. Place in large ziploc bag and cut corner.
    IMGP9857
  6. Pipe into circles
    IMGP9858
  7. Bake in pre-heated oven for 1hr 15minutes, turn off oven and leave until completely cooled.
    IMGP9859

This meringue is dry and crunchy, it should snap when you try to break it but will have a soft centre.
IMGP9862

Now that you have your meringue and compote what to do with them?  I know!

Place your meringue onto a plate, put a scoop of your favourite ice-cream in the center, cover with berries, drizzle with sauce and then for that extra something special add some chocolate curls!  Now that’s a dessert!

IMGP9868

I served this luscious dessert when we had a few neighbourhood friends over to help us eat a very large brisket that followed Rob home from the store :).  He smoked it all day and it was delicious.  So I felt a delicious dinner deserved a delicious dessert and I wasn’t wrong.  Our guests had nothing but fabulous things to say about it. YAY!

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I enjoyed sharing it with you.  Please don’t stop here, hop around and enjoy the rest of the Berrylicious posts from around the blogosphere!

Thanks for looking!

BannerBerrylicious

1. Joan, Chocolate Chocolate and More - Lemon Blueberry Pound cake
2. Charity, Foodlets – Strawberry - Banana Frozen Yogurt Pops
3. Jamie, Green Beans & Grapefruit - Mixed Berry & Cookie Butter Clafouti
4. Hani, Haniela’s – Red Currant Meringue Cake
5. Katrina, In Katrina’s Kitchen - Frozen Blueberry Basil Lemonade Pies
6. Sue, Munchkin Munchies - English Matrimonials
7. Bia, Rich and Sweet - Blueberry Blackberry Orange Streusel Scones
8. Sam, Sams Kitchen - Eton Mess Mini Cheesecakes
9. Sherron, Simply Gourmet Photography - Mulberry Syrup
10. Ann, Sumptuous Spoonfuls - Strawberry Chia Jam
11. Me!, Trilogy Edibles - Meringue Nest with a Bumbleberry Compote

 

I link with THESE great parties

10 comments:

  1. I love your pretty meringue nests! I'm excited to be part of this berrylicious group too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun? i love collaborations. this is getting pinned for when I am back on the wagon with sugar. I love fresh recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very impressive looking dessert, and oh, so delicious!

    BTW, I was also excited with the invite from Hani:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love berries, and I love meringues. This is my perfect dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous dessert!
    I love all the berry love that you put it in.
    I need to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Karen, I love meringues, using them with your berry compote is just summer on a plate anytime. I always try to put fresh fruit in the freezer for the cold winter months but I think I'll have to make this much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive- it would be lovely to make! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful project for a link-up and what a delicious treat you made. My little kingdom for some fresh local berries right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks gorgeous, and I love your method of making the meringues. Berries are among my favourite fruits, so I will definitely be giving your compote a try! I'm just off to visit the rest of the Berrylicious posts - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a light and seasonable dessert. Please share it on my foodie friday party today.

    ReplyDelete