Friday, May 18, 2012

How to Save $3.50 a day!

IMGP9809

The other day we were out with the girls at Pullen Park in Raleigh.  It’s this awesome park that has a train, carousel, boats and a huge play park area.  But after a couple hours both Rob and I needed a little pick-me-up.  So we went to Dunkin Donuts.  He got a regular hot coffee and I their non-fat iced latte.  It was ok, but it wasn’t what I wanted.  I wanted that thick frapped sweat coffee you can get from Starbucks.  I love the Mocha Frappuccino but my waistline not-so-much.  I brought the coffee home and stuck it in the blender added some sugar and pureed.  It was good but so not the same.

Pretty much every day Rob leaves about half a pot of coffee in the coffee pot.  So I put into a cup and stuck it into the fridge for the afternoon.

When the time came and I needed a little something I grabbed the chilled coffee out of the fridge and decided to try a home version of my beloved Mocha Frappuccino.  And I now have my new afternoon drink.  The girls can have a popsicle, I’m having this and I save $3.50 plus the gas to get to Starbucks!

Recipe:

  • 3/4 cup chilled coffee
  • 3/4 cup milk (I used 2% as that’s what we have, but choose your poison)
  • 2 cups ice
  • 3 tbsp sugar or sugar substitute
  • 1 tbsp dark cocoa

IMGP9806

  1. Put all ingredients into a blender and puree for 30-40 seconds.
  2. Pour into glass, it makes two “tall” frapped drinks!

IMGP9807

I better be careful with these because there are a few more calories in this drink than my regular mid-afternoon tea with milk.

IMGP9809

Thanks for looking! 

2 comments:

  1. Aren't you the smartest! This look deliciously cool and refreshing and $3.50 a day certainly can add up quickly. Better in your pocket than in Starbucks :) Have a great weekend Karen.

    ReplyDelete