Friday, April 27, 2012

Cosmopolitan Cupcakes with Lemon Buttercream

IMGP9730

Just over a month ago a threw a martini party.  I had bought some different martini mixes and since then always thought I should attempt a cupcake version of said martinis.

Now I’m not a huge drink drinker. I love a really good really cold red beer as well as a really nice glass of Cabernet Sauvignon.  But every now and again I’ll drink a martini. 

I decided to choose the Cosmo because it reminded me of my first trip to New York City some 15 years ago.  I went with my best friend, Sapna and we stayed with a friend of hers, Randy,  who lived in Manhattan.  Now Randy was the concierge at the Four Seasons hotel and his partner (at the time) was a modeling agent.  So basically we went to NYC and hung out in somewhat fancier digs then we were use to as well as with really beautiful people.  It was a blast and an eye opening experience all at once.

Now because we were hanging with the “beautiful” people we got to get into some pretty funky clubs.  At one club you needed to know someone to get in but then you needed to know someone else to go into the back room.  It was like being in a movie.  I actually walked into the bathroom whilst a stick figure did a line of what one would assume was cocaine, but who knows. I felt like I was invading her privacy but I really had to pee.  I know I’m all class!  Sapna and I decided to go fancy and order a Cosmo.  It was really quite tasty but the funny part of this story, or just proving how sheltered a life we led was when the bill came.  The waitress said 16 dollars please.  It didn’t take long to realize she meant each.  Che-Ching!  I mean it was good, but not 16 bucks good.  That’s 4 beers at a pub :)  Needless to say, it was the last drink I bought that evening.

So when I picked Cosmo, it reminded me of my first visit to NYC.  Good times!

Cosmopolitan Cupcakes (adapted by A Cup Full of Cake)

  • 1/2 cup butter room temp
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs room temp
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/4 cup Cosmopolitan Mix

Directions:

  1. Allow all ingredients to come to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 350F. Line muffin pans with cupcake papers.
  2. With a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy.
    Add the eggs 1 at a time and beat until well combined.
  3. Combine all dry ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside
  4. Combine the buttermilk and Cosmo Mix.
  5. Add in 1 cup each of the dry and wet mixtures alternately, beating on low until the whole mixture is well combined.
  6. Fill cups with batter two-thirds full. Bake at 350 F for 18-22 minutes or until cupcakes
    spring back in the middle when touched lightly. Cool for 10 minutes in pan.

Lemon Buttercream

  • 1/2 cup butter softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 4 cups icing sugar
  • 6 tbsp lemon juice
  1. In stand mixer, combine all ingredients together and beat on med-high until smooth.

IMGP9736

Now you can add red food colouring to the cupcakes it you want them a more true cosmo colour.  I really liked these, however Rob wasn’t a huge fan.  He did say the buttercream has the perfect lemony flavour.  The leftovers went into Rob’s work and were demolished.  So despite Rob’s nonchalance towards them, they were well received by his office.  So I say success!

Thanks for looking!



linking with:
Gallery of Favourites
I'm Loving it Friday
Friday Food
Kitchen Fun & Craft Linky

5 comments:

  1. Love your funny story about NYC and your Cosmo cupcakes. Hope to visit NYC one day myself. Don't want to run into anyone doing *a line* in the washroom though. Then again, highly unlikely as I don't know anyone there who would travel in *those circles* :) Have a great weekend Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love New York, but always interesting. It's funny people tease me all the time because I don't drink but I always have booze in my cookies or cakes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, yes the city is quite expensive! I'll be lucky if I ever get to get back to NYC again, but your cupcakes might console me just fine! Thanks for the recipe! Visiting from DearCreatives.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, those look GOOD. I love a good cosmo...well I did until the night I got engaged in Vegas. I had 5...I think. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cupcakes look lovely - I think the idea of a cocktail in a cupcake is wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete