Friday, March 9, 2012

Meyer Lemon Bars

IMGP8952

I never really bought Meyer lemons until I moved south.  Even when I do, it’s usually at Whole Foods and one or two at a time, but when I saw a bag of them at Walmart, of all places, I knew it was a sign to make something.

Meyer lemons are a citrus usually native to China and are thought to be a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. So they are sweet and tart!  Lemon, in our house, is one of the most requested flavours.  You could even just eat this type of lemon like an orange, if you are so inclined

So I made these bars and they are so simple and so yummy!  And it got me out of cleaning, which is always a plus because I am a professional procrastinator.

meyerlemonbar

Recipe: Adapted from GroupRecipes.com

Crust:

  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • Juice of two lemons

Filling:

  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp finely grated meyer lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed meyer lemon juice

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper.
  2. In food processor, combine flour, sugar, salt,  and butter until it’s like oatmeal.  Then add juice and pulse until it starts to come together.
  3. Press into pan and bake for 15 minutes, or until the crust starts to brown.
  4. In another bowl combine eggs, sugar, flour, salt, zest and juice.  Mix completely.
  5. Once crust is removed from oven, pour egg mixture over and put back into oven for another 15 minutes, or until the mixture is set.
  6. Cool completely, dust with icing sugar.  Slice and serve!
  7. Enjoy!

Adding the lemon juice to crust really enhances the lemon flavour of the entire bar!

IMGP8953

Since I’ve started being good about nutrition, I also started creating nutrition labels.  I hope this helps too :)  The recipe makes about 16 bars, this label is for one bar.  You can do it too with Self Nutrition Data.  You input your recipe and voila, it creates a nutrition facts label!  So Cool!

image

Thanks for looking!



Linking with:
Foodie Friday

4 comments:

  1. Hi Karen, Meyer Lemons are one of my favorite flavors too! Your bars sound great and I love the idea of putting lemon in the crust.
    My blog is gluten free, but all of the recipes adapt to "regular" flour and I have lots of Meyer lemon recipes posted. I actually did a giveaway a year ago for a box of organic Meyer lemons from a farm in CA. I posted a list of Meyer lemon recipes that I gathered from all over the web- here's the link to that list in case you are interested. http://www.andreaskitchen.net/2011/01/giveaway-organic-meyer-lemons/
    Have a great weekend! Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I need to try Meyer Lemons, I don't think I've ever had one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen Meyer Lemons here and I'm always on the lookout. I love Lemon Bars and yours look lovely. Dainty and Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love lemons (starting in kindergarten when I got one out of our frig and my ma said I wouldn't like it...interpreting that as a dare lol, I endured the puckered mouth and have loved lemons ever since). Got turned to Meyer lemons years ago. Now I'm an Independent Chocolatier with DOVE CHOCOLATE DISCOVERIES TM and we have a Meyer's Cupcake Mix that makes us lemon lovers rapturous.

    ReplyDelete