Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Treat Day Wednesday - Apple Cider Cupcakes

Last week at the grocery store they had apple cider on sale.  I love it but apparently I’m the only one :( 

So I decided I’d use it in a recipe and since the girls like cupcakes why not make Apple Cider Cupcakes.  I also had some leftover pumpkin puree, so I used it instead of the oil in the original recipe.

IMGP8236

Recipe: Apple Cider Cupcakes (adapted from Epicurious.com)

  • 3 cups unpasteurized apple cider
  • 1/2 pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

    Directions:

    1. In a large saucepan boil the cider until it is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups and let it cool.
    2. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together the puree and the sugar until the mixture is fluffy and beat in the eggs, 1 at a time.
    3. Into the bowl sift together the flour, the cinnamon, the baking soda, and a pinch of salt, stir in the reduced cider, and combine the mixture well.
    4. Divide the batter among muffin tins and bake for 25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
    5. This made about 21 cupcakes.
  • IMGP8235

    I used candy melts and a Halloween icecube tray for the toppers!  Don’t they rock :)

    Thanks for looking!

    2 comments:

    1. I love the toppers! And I love the healthified cupcakes. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. It was the toppers that caught my eye and I was wondering how you make them. So neat! The cupcakes look delicious and I wonder how the girls like them, did you tell them there was *yucky* apple cider in them? :)

      ReplyDelete